Thursday, July 24, 2008

and then the 1990's bit me in the ass...

1) back in school: check
2) moved back home: check
3) uncontrollable urge to dye hair with manic panic found in closet: check
4) offered 'e' pill by friend while drinking in basement on long island: check

yep it's 1999...
the pill is in the bottom of my purse, I am not quite sure what to do with it.
a friend who I have known for over a decade was musing about throwing a 1993 bbq to celebrate his moving to ny ( I think it's actually to celebrate his platonic man love for another mutual friend, who doesn't know his anniversary date with his girlfriend of 5 years, just his straight male bf, this is just conjecture.)
in 1993 I transfered in to public school (HHS go devils... this may be the first time I have uttered this) from a jewish parochial school on long island. clearly wanting to dress to impress this new brood of economically and racially diverse cohorts I carefully planned my first day of school outfit.
white denim GAP short shorts, a flannel sleeveless green plaid shirt tied at the waist and a choker made of fabric daisies.
hey weirdo, why do you remember that???
well deprecatory inner-monologue, because this was a new chapter of my life, rife with catholics and new friends, some of who are still my best gals to this very day. this was the first chapter in my personal new testament a gospel of teen angst, oddly dyed hair, blue christmas lights, smoking pot out of empty coke cans at carnivals, exile to guyville on repeat, half-assed vegetarianism, first kisses and heart breaking crushes.
and river phoenix, who my 10th grade year book is dedicated to (not formally) where on the first page the school has been x'd out with a sharpie and glue on top is headshot of river followed by an epitaph also in sharpie.

in his picture river is also wearing a sleeveless flannel.
maybe I was more on point then I knew?

No comments: